POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : array question : Re: array question Server Time
5 Jul 2024 14:32:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: array question
From: Ricky Reusser
Date: 20 Sep 2003 10:20:02
Message: <3f6c6211@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   You failed to provide vital information about your system:
>
>   - Your computer type (PC? Mac? Sparc? Another?) and OS.
>   - The compiler you are using.
>   - A short piece of code you are trying but is causing the problem.
>

>   100*100*100*4 is only 3.8 megabytes so it shouldn't be any problem in
> any current OS with any current compiler. Your code is probably just
> buggy.

Sorry.  I should have known I should provide info by now.  I just assumed
this might be a standard C thing.  I'm using mac os x on a G4 with the most
current version of their Project Developer.  (It did the same thing back on
the old G3)  The only code I'm using is:

float u_x[ncx+1][ncy][ncz];

All of the variables are correctly defined as int's and it does the same
thing if I type float u[100][100][100]; or with other data types.  It works
just fine with smaller numbers, but once I get to somewhere in the area of
30-40 ^3, I just get an error.  I thought there might be a limit on how
much memory you can allocate at once, but then this would seem to be a more
common issue.  My searches online have turned up nothing, so I'm probably
missing something.

Thanks.

 - Ricky